• Blog >
  • What to Do After Your Construction Site Accident

What to Do After Your Construction Site Accident

Despite the federal rules that govern safety on construction sites, accidents happen. Sometimes accidents are just that – an unfortunate result of inherently dangerous work. But sometimes an equipment failure or issue with the site itself points to rules that were broken by owners, contractors or manufacturers.

Unfortunately, injurious accidents happen all too often in New York. The day before Thanksgiving 2018, a worker was killed after debris fell from a roof in Brooklyn. A forklift had turned over, knocking debris over the roofline where it fell three stories before hitting the man as he worked below.

Not all construction accidents are fatal, but any accident on a site resulting in injury should be thoroughly investigated and those responsible held accountable. In the Brooklyn example, both the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and New York City’s buildings department immediately began investigating, and a stop-work order was issued. But if you’re injured in a construction accident, relying on government agencies to hold operators, manufacturers and site owners accountable won’t help you pay bills or receive compensation for any resulting disability. If you or someone you care about was involved in a construction site accident, contact a lawyer with experience handling construction site injury cases.

The first thing an experienced attorney will do is gather all the facts and evidence about your case. This may involve an independent investigation of what happened to cause the accident. Was there an equipment failure? Were other workers — such as the forklift operator in Brooklyn – licensed to operate the machinery in use? Investigators will also look at the general safety of the site to see if safety violations existed.

Your attorney will advise whether you should file a workers’ compensation claim or a civil law suit against a third party, such as an equipment manufacturer or subcontractor. In a personal injury suit, you would seek to recover damages — compensation for your financial losses, including medical bills and lost wages — from the responsible parties.

If you were injured in a construction accident and would like assistance with your claim, Meth Law Offices, PC can help. Please call 845-469-9529  or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. With offices in Chester and Brooklyn, we assist clients throughout New York.